A Swimming Pool or Hot Hot Tub Auto Top Up/Fill System is a device that automatically fills up your swimming pool with water when the water level drops below a certain point. The system is designed to maintain a consistent water level in your pool without requiring you to manually add water every time it’s needed.
The system usually consists of a water level sensor that is installed in the pool and connected to a valve that controls the flow of water into the pool. When the water level drops below the desired level, the sensor sends a signal to the valve, which opens and allows water to flow into the pool until the desired level is reached.
Some auto top-up/fill systems may also include additional features such as an automatic shut-off when the desired water level is reached, or the ability to adjust the water level to accommodate different pool uses, such as swimming or water features.
Do I need a Swimming Pool or Hot Tub Auto Top Up / Fill System?
Whether or not you need a Pool Auto Top Up/Fill System depends on your individual circumstances and preferences. Here are some factors to consider when deciding if an auto top-up/fill system is right for you:
- Frequency of water level drops: If you find that your pool’s water level drops frequently, either due to evaporation or splashing, then an auto top-up/fill system can save you time and effort by automatically adding water as needed.
- Manual maintenance: If you find that manually maintaining your pool’s water level is inconvenient or time-consuming, then an auto top-up/fill system can simplify your pool maintenance routine and free up your time for other activities.
- Water source: If you have a reliable and easily accessible water source, such as a garden hose or an underground water line, then an auto top-up/fill system can be a convenient and efficient way to keep your pool filled with water.
- Budget: Auto top-up/fill systems can range in price, so if you’re on a tight budget, you may want to consider whether the convenience of an auto top-up/fill system is worth the investment.
What Types of Swimming Pool / Hot Tub Auto Top Up / Fill System Exist?
There are several types of Pool Auto Top Up/Fill Systems available in the market. Some of the most common types are:
- Float Valve: A float valve is a simple and cost-effective auto top-up/fill system that uses a floating mechanism to regulate the water level. The float is connected to a valve that opens when the water level drops below a certain point, allowing water to flow in until the desired level is reached.
- Pressure Sensor: A pressure sensor system uses a pressure sensor installed in the pool’s plumbing to monitor the water level. When the water level drops below a set point, the sensor sends a signal to a valve that opens and allows water to flow in until the desired level is reached.
- Optical Sensor: An optical sensor system uses an infrared sensor installed in the pool to monitor the water level. When the water level drops below a certain point, the sensor sends a signal to a valve that opens and allows water to flow in until the desired level is reached.
- Automatic Water Leveller: An automatic water leveller is a more sophisticated auto top-up/fill system that uses a combination of sensors, valves, and controllers to maintain a consistent water level in the pool. The system can adjust the water level based on pool usage, evaporation, and other factors.
- Smart Water Management System: A smart water management system is a highly advanced auto top-up/fill system that uses a combination of sensors, valves, controllers, and cloud-based software to manage and optimize water usage. The system can monitor water levels, adjust water flow, and even predict water usage based on weather forecasts and other factors.
What is the best Pool / Hot Tub Auto Top Up / Fill System?
In my opinion, the best swimming pool auto top up system is one that can be installed into a skimmer.
The reason for this is that it is discreet and simple to do. You do however need to have a skimmer that is compatible with an auto top up system Generally, they need to have “knock out plates” on the back of the skimmer so that you can attach the system to it.
It is very simple, remove the knockout plate and then screw the levelling system into place. Make sure there is a rubber washer against the inside of the skimmer to form a watertight barrier.
Then, you will want to connect the back of the auto top up system to a water supply. If you have high water pressure, some of the better systems come with a means of reducing the flow into the device.
Also, the more advanced systems also have anti syphon mechanisms in them so that you pool cannot empty itself slowly through the device.
Can I Help You?
If I can help you in any way I would love to hear from you. You can get in touch using the form below.
Thanks - Andi
Hi, Andi here. I own Buildahottub.com and also write all of the articles and info pages on the site. Some years back now, I built my own hot tub but struggled to find the information I needed. So, once my tub was complete, I started this website to help others in their own pursuit of hot tub and plunge pools DIY building information.
Today, I've helped over 1000 DIY customers just like you all over the world build hot tubs and pools. Have a good look around the site, there are lots of resources here. Please do get in touch if I can help you. - Cheers, Andi